cherry
  • cherry
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Please help me.

I am a non-EEA national who lives in the UK since 02/07/2005.

I came here with a student visa which was required for my studies.

I’ve been living together with an EU national as boyfriend and girlfriend since 03/2008 (which I am able to prove with our utility bills).

We got married in 01/02/2010 and I’ve been issued with an EEA family permit on the 18/02/2010. Then I’ve received my EEA2 Residence Card 25/08/2011 which is valid from 25/08/2010 and it’s issued for 5 years.

I’ve been a house wife since 09/2010 so my family permit is depending on my husband.

I was wondering under EU law when can I apply for British Citizenship?

Is it 5 years from the time we’ve been living together?

Is it 5 years from time we’ve got married?

Or is it 5 years from the time I’ve been issued with the residence card?

(This residence card by the way had gone when I got mugged in Barcelona in 08/2011. The one I’ve hold is a replacement permit and it’s valid from 14/09/2011)

There’s another thing as well. My husband has got his Permanent residence status since 11/01/2011and he became a British Citizen on the 22/10/2012. (The issue date of the Certificate is the 15/11/2012). So now because of his dual nationality I could become a British Citizen under British law as well.

So the question is,

Can i skip 1 year PR because he become a British Citizen?

Is it 2 years from the date he has been issued with his PR?

Is it 2 years from the date he became a British Citizen?

Or has the law changed from 2 years to 5 years this year?

And if it wasn’t enough now I don’t know if I have to apply for a different permit because he became British?

Thank you very much for the time you spent reading my letter. Any advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Sponsor