lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Hi

Sorry, old thread, but I need some clarification on this matter.

What does the above exactly mean?

It says, you should have held MINIMUM permanant resident status for 5 years, then in the last sentence, it says AGAIN minimum resident status for 12 months?

Does that mean 12 months OF THE FIVE YEAR PERIOD (THE LAST YEAR OF THE 5 YEARS)?

OR

12 MONTHS ON TOP OF THE 5 YEAR PERIOD?

Basically, a simple answer would help me immensely.

I'm an EEA national (Hungarian). I have been in the UK since Oct 2008, and never needed visa etc.

So i suppose I have been a permanant resident since I arrived?

I have been full time employed in the NHS since the day I arrived, Oct 2008, till this very day.

So, in Oct 2013, DO I QUALIFY FOR LIKE IN THE UK TEST AND NATURALISATION ETC, OR DO I NEED TO WAIT TILL OVT 2014?

Many thanks

Sponsor

mrlookforward
10 years ago

You need 5 years plus 12 months on top of that. So 6 years in total.

You were not permanent resident since you arrived. You become permanent resident exactly 5 years after you arrived in UK if you have been exercising treaty rights.

You have said that you have always worked since you arrived in October 2008, so you have been exercising treaty rights all the way. You gained automatic PR in October 2013. Now you need to wait another 12 months to apply for naturalisation. You will be able to apply for naturalisation in October 2014 when you have fully completed 6 years in UK. It cannot be 5 years 11 months and 20 days etc.

You will have to provide proofs that you gained PR in 2013 by providing P60's covering 2008-2013.

regards

lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Hi

In coninue to previous question and your useful information it comes another question if I may to ask:

- Is it any kind of fast track service also for naturalisation after compeliting full 5 years and entering PR , like what they call it premium service for ILR ?

Thanks for your answers

Regards.

lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Many thanks for your informative reply. Crystal clear!

I hope you do not mind, but this brings me to a final few questions please:

1- Through out these past 5 years, I have kept my foreign travels to below 450 days. In this FINAL SIXTH YEAR IN THE UK, having PR status, HOW MANY DAYS AM I ALLOWED TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE UK?

2- When do I sit the life in UK test exactly? At the end of the 6th year, just before AN application?

3- I noticed on the UKBA website that it would help my AN application in the future (OCT 2014) if I apply for PR now using form EEA3, even though it is not a requirement?

4- There seems to be an additional English test required now, in effect from November 2013?

5- What is the point of REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE EEA1? I intend to apply now for EEA3, but is there any additional benefit to do EEA1 as well?

Once again, many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

Best regards

Osama

infoiskey
10 years ago

Hi Mr Lookforward,

I will like to seek your advice on my own issue.

I am a family member of EEA national, I came to UK in 2002 December to join my Dad who is Spanish National  with 6 month EEA family member permit. i was age of 15yrs then. 

from 2002 till today my dad has not bother applying for 5years resident card or permanent resident  for me.  i will like to find out if i can apply for naturalization  as i have been here for 11 years?

My dad has been working in UK since 1999 till date non stop.

Thanks

apriliapegaso28
10 years ago
It was not 100% clear after reading the info in this link...

Cheers!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/

Residential requirements

To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:

• been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and

European Economic Area nationals and Swiss nationals

If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation.