lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Hi,

Looking for some advice for a rather complicated situation - sorry - will try to be succinct.

A = Colombian national (M)

B = Italian national (F)

Z = British national (F)

A and B met while at university in London and married in Feb 2008. A was issued 5 year residence card (EEA2) in March 2009. 

A and B separated in early 2012 but remain legally married and on good terms. A wants to apply for permanent residence (EEA4), with B's support on providing documents etc. However B - as the EU national exercising treaty rights - has incomplete evidence for the full 5 year period - no income declared since Sep 2011, missing documents eg 'comprehensive sickness insurance' during university study. B has been working in the couple's joint business - established in March 2012. But they have yet to file company accounts for the business and B has not filed self-assessments etc - s0 no means of proving income for the past 2 years.

1) Am I correct on thinking that based on this, EEA4 is unlikely to be approved? Is it worth a shot? (Also, see 3))

2) If B can gather enough evidence to support the current situation, does A at least stand a chance of being granted a second EEA2? 

3) Is there any risk that, in submitting a patchy application, there may be serious consequences i.e. could it result in A (or both) being kicked out or prosecuted etc?

Also -

Some time after separating from B, A met Z and they are now in a relationship. Z would be willing to sponsor A if there is a route available - i.e. A moves into visa category of partner of British citizen.

4) If A and B legally separate (divorce) and A and Z were to marry in UK soon after, what would the next steps be? Would A need to leave the country to apply for new visa, or could he apply to change category from within the UK while still on EEA visa? (I understand his right to be in UK under EU law ends as soon as divorce from B is granted?)

Sorry for complexity - any advice gratefully received.

Thanks from A, B, and Z...

Sponsor

mrlookforward
10 years ago

Now as things stand, A and B are still married. Mere separation is not a bar under eu regs for gaining PR. But if B cannot provide proof that he/she has been exercising treaty rights for 5 years then neither  A nor B will attain PR, simple. NO proof=No status.

If A and B get divorced, and A and Z get married, then A will have to leave UK and apply for spouse visa from home country. Apart from other requirements, Z will need to be earning at least £ 18600 per annum (before tax). If Z earns less than that amount then there it is possible to fulfill financial requirements by showing enough savings according to the immigration rules.

regards