paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Yes, I think you will need to take the test before applying for ILR. I should also say that I think you have misunderstood the requirements for becoming a British citizen...

If you are intending to apply after THREE years residence (as the spouse of a British citizen) you will need to take the test, because you will be applying for naturalisation as a BC, and all naturalisation applicants need to take the test.

Registration applicants don't need to take the test, but they can apply only after five years residence. (Registration, so far as adults are concerned,  is a simplified form of application, available only to people who have a category of British nationality, other then full British citizenship - eg BNO, British subject, BOC, British Protected person...)

paul

Sponsor

spouse
  • spouse
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

Kind regards,

Spouse

spouse
  • spouse
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago

Dear Paul, Could I ask you the following questions? a.       For how many days can I stay outside the UK during my ?2-year probationary period? without affecting my future application for ILR?

b.      Is it true that a BN(O) passport holder has the immediate right to vote if s/he has lived in the UK legally? If it is true, can I, holding a BN(O) passport with a 2-year spouse visa and now living legally in the UK, have the immediate right to vote?

Kind regards,

Spouse  

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

Hi "Spouse"

I don't know whether there is a fixed number of days absence that you're allowed - you simply have to satisfy IND that you are living together in UK, so far as I'm aware... Perhaps the answer is a call to the IND enquiry bureau.

As to voting, I think that what you say is correct, but a look through the leaflet acommpanying the voter registration form should confirm it one way or the other....

Sorry I can't be more "definitive"!
rgds
paul

spouse
  • spouse
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your advice that I will follow.

Kind regards,

Spouse

spouse
  • spouse
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago

I, holding a BN(O) passport, have got a 2-year spouse visa which will expire in 2008. I know there will be no need for me to sit for the test of "Life in the UK" or to attend a combined ESOL with citizenship course if I apply for a British passport by registration after 3 years.

I would like to know if I shall be required to sit for the test or to attend the course mentioned above before applying for ILR in 2008.