kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

This is my third attempt at answering as my other two got as far as posting and for some unknown reason I got logged out before it posted successfully. So this is a much shortened version of my first answer as I am now fed up........

A resident is not neccessarily a citizen. By permanent resident, I think you mean someone with ILR ? Someone with ILR who does not meet the criteria listed below cannot vote or stand for public office.

To be allowed to vote in a Parliamentary or a local or a European election you must have your name on the Electoral register.

To be allowed to have your name on the Electoral register you must be aged 18 or over and you must be a citizen of the United Kingdom, or a citizen of the Commonwealth, or a citizen of a European member state.

Citizens of the UK, the Commonwealth and the Irish Republic that are resident in this country may vote in ALL public elections. Citizens of EU member states that are resident in the UK can vote in all BUT the national parliamentary elections.

To stand for public office you must be a citizen of the UK, or the Commonwealth or a citizen of the Irish Republic, aged 21 or over. There are some exceptions including Peers, civil servants, members of the armed forces and those with certain criminal convictions.

To become a local councillor you must have a local connection with the area. Either through work or being on the electoral register for that area or owning land or property.

This rule does not apply to MP's, MEP's , MSP's or members of the Welsh or Northern Ireland assemblies.

Hope this helps!

Sponsor

hristostev@yahoo.com.1330535426
17 years ago

Many thanks 🙂

Much appreciated.

PS. I am quite surprised that commonwealth and irish citizens, residents in the UK, having all those priviliges.

kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Some of them still have to have visa's to work or live here though, unlike some EU countries' citizens who can move freely around the EU (UK  included) to work and live. Irish citizens have as many rights as we do in the UK. So I would say it's six of one and a half dozen of the other in terms of priveleges. (that is an old saying meaning 50/50). It all goes back a long way to the days of the Empire. Australia still has our Queen as Head of State.
hristostev@yahoo.com.1330535426
17 years ago

Hi,

When the  book (as other publications) refers to the term " resident" , does it stand for "permanent resident" or just "inhabitant"?

For instance, the book states that any person from the commonwealth or from Ireland who is resident in UK  has the right to vote and stand for office. do they have to have "permanent residence" status or just be inhabitants of UK.

Also, do they have the right to stand for parliament. i.e. become MP or MEP?