lifeintheuktest
16 years ago

Hi,

I have been in the UK for 4 years, and would have got my PR by now, had the rules not changed (and remained as they were 4 years ago, i.e., PR after 4 years, and no requirements for 'Life in UK' test).

As of now, the rule for applying for indefinite stay asks for continuous 5 years plus 'Life in UK' test, so, I will have to wait till May next year before I can apply for the Indifinite Leave to Remain, and have to clear my 'Life in UK' test.

I saw the details of New points based system that is to start in the new year. Please refer to Immigrations and Nationality Directorate website - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/newsarchive/newpointsbasedsystem

I am not sure if I should spend money to go through the 'Life in the UK' book and give the exam now, so that I could apply for PR immediately after completing 5 years. What if the rules change, and all this wait plus exam fees go waste. Because at that time, I might have to get myself assessed against the point system. I may or may not have sufficient points as per the new points system, so I might not be in a position to apply for indefinite Leave to remain at that time?

If anyone has any information, please could you share with me/us.

Many Thanks !

Regards,

A Person waiting for his PR for ages ....  :(

P.S. I had come to UK in Jan 2000 and have been here in the UK for most of these years. I could not apply for my PR before because I had gone out of country in year 2002 for about 9 months, for an assignment due to my job that I have been doing since 1996. If the rules change again, it would really be very distressing :(

Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
16 years ago

I just had a look at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/aboutus/pointsbasedsystemcommandpap1.pdf

It seems that the rule of 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' has nothing to do with the Points Based System. PBS is only to simplify, restrict and combine most of the entry routes (probably around 70) into UK. For example, if a person needs to come to UK for employment (under a work permit) he will have to get himself assessed on the points system before his/her visa is granted/rejected. This will happen in Tier 2.

In all there will be 5 tiers - Highly skilled in Tier 1, Skilled workers with job offer in Tier 2, Low skilled workers, but required due to shortage in that skill, will fall in Tier 3, Students in Tier 4 and Youth mobility and temporary workers in Tier 5.

There is a possibility that people in Tier 1, who will be given intial 2 years Visa get the settlement immediately after completion of 2 years (based on certain conditions), but people from Tier 2 will be given the visa for the duration he/she is contracted for by the employer, and will be able to apply for settlement only after completion of 5 years. People in Tier 1 will not be limited to work for any specific employer. but people in Tier 2 will have to get reassessment done if he/she changes the employment.

I hope it helps others who were in similar situation as me ...

Regards,

Guest User !