malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
15 years ago
Not exactly same experience as you asked, but I know that when Home Office issue you ILR they also provide you a letter stating that you have ILR. Even if ILR is not stamped in your passport, that letter will work in place of actual stamp. You did confuse me that you will not have Right of Abode stamp in your passport. I answered it partly if you have the letter. If your passport is valid and you have ILR in thsi country then burden is on you to prove it. Immigration officers are usually flexible if you have other papers and you can prove it.

Many countries will revoke your nationality if you get another nationality, which can come into play meaning that your passport may not be valid. This area is bit tricky but can cause problem when you return.

In order for you to Enter UK you must provide some type of Right to ABode proof. This you can do with many other document then just British Passport such as letter or the Naturalization certificate.

You must have valid passport from another country as you won't be able travel to UK without it.
Sponsor

mrmehkri@hotmail.com.1251225630
15 years ago

Thank you. Scenario is as follows.

1. Valid foreign passport with ILR

2. Travel after grant of UK nationality but UK passport not applied for.

Question: is ILR valid as person has got nationality now? or one must get Right of Abode stamped on his foreign passport?

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
15 years ago
it has been a while since I last saw your email. Nationality does not invalidate ILR as ILR is given on Foreign Passport. Nationality is a bit higher on hierarchy so if you have a valid passport with ILR on it they will let you in because you are British National. USA is the one country that will penalize you if you do so. Because if you are US Citizen you must travel on US Passport in and out of US. As far as i know Uk doesn't have same policy. Just for your own satisfaction do check with a solicitor or Immigration Advisor.
15 years ago

My solicitor had advised to apply for 'Right of Abode' after grant of nationality as once you become Citizen, you are no longer mere permanent resident. You either apply for UK passport or 'Right of Abode' sticker.

As applying for 'Right of Abode' sticker is more expensive and equally time consuming, it may be more feasible to apply for UK passport or Identity card, when available.

15 years ago

If some ones gets naturalized but travels on old passport with ILR stamp on it, could he return to UK without Right of abode stamp or British passport? Reason being getting British passport after naturalization takes as much as 6 to 8 weeks now and some one may need to travel during that time.

Could some one with personal experience shed some light.