ntezouki@yahoo.co.uk.1330536373
14 years ago
Hi,yes you are eligible to apply for naturalisation as British but you need to renew your European passport because you need to provide your valid passport with your application. You can go to the consulate of your country and they will help you to renew your passport.Good luck
Sponsor

mblackhill@googlemail.com.1330535519
14 years ago

Hi Sammy

Thanks for the info.

However I contacted the Home Office, and I recorded the Phone call, and they told me I can apply for naturalisation with my expired ID if I evidence otherwise that I have exercised my Treaty rights for 6 years or more.

Fortunately, I contacted my local authority, who deals with citizenship processes, who then contacted the Home Office themselves, and they got the same answer. They called me yesterday to tell me that.

In the meantime, I have an appointment with my local MP next week, to clarify this further.

I found out that with the Home Office we need to ask, and ask, and ask again, and clarify, and clarify again, because their staff are really inconsistent in their answers.

I think persistence is the best. Unfortunately for me to renew my ID is not possible because the embassy of my country is even more complicated than the Home Office. I've been here for many years now and they will simply not give me a new ID or passport unless i move back to where I was born (as if!).

cheers

14 years ago

Good news finally.

I sent my application form through the county council checking service, and got my application approved in less than one month. I was really impressed with how fast the UK Border Agency went through my application form. I have already booked my citizenship ceremony.

Good luck to everyone else.

Mike

m.amir@soton.ac.uk.1307786909
14 years ago
Hi Mike,
Thats great news! I sent my application through the checking service last week and I am still waiting for them to acknowledge my application. The money hasnt been taken off either. Is this a sign, that this could take ages???? When did u receive the acknowledgment letter?
seenan@hotmail.co.uk.1330536373
14 years ago
Hi Amir,

just read your post, I applied for british nationality on 7th sept 09, through nationality checking service, within a week I got the ack and on 8th oct 09 received the nationality letter, Alhamdollilah. If your application is OK inshaAllah they will not take much time.
regards
Seenan
ivtservices@gmail.com.1330536374
14 years ago
http://uk.immigrationvisaforms.com/ 
ivtservices@gmail.com.1330536374
14 years ago
http://uk.immigrationvisaforms.com/ 
14 years ago

I would be very grateful if anyone could clarify this issue for me. I have contacted the Home Office several times and everytime I get a different answer from them.

I am a citizen of a European Country, and have lived in the UK since 2002. I meet all current requirements to apply for British Citizenship. This means that I have received Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2007, and have passed the Life in The UK test. 

However, my ID card expired in 2007, just after receiving Indefinite Leave (Permanent Residence), and have no intentions to renew it because it is a great hassle to do it from the UK.

Does anyone know if I can still apply for naturalisation with this expired ID card? The Home Office said Yes and NO, so I am confused.

Please would you be able to give me the reference to where you got your answer from, so that I can show them in case they put any problems!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.