paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

Doesn't sound right to me, Waheed...

The Home Office changed the Rules on 1 April 2003 to prevent most people from switching into the spouse category while remaining in the UK. It is the general case that, if a person want to take advantage of the fact that he has married a British citizen, he is required to return to his home country, and apply for a spouse visa from there. I'm sure there are occasional exceptions - eg if the home country is too dangerous for the person to go back to - but they are exceptions. The Home Office wouldn't have changed the Rules  if they were not going to enforce them.

There is no harm (except to your bank balance!) in seeking individual legal advice, but I think people should be prepared to receive an unwelcome answer, I'm afraid...

rgds
paul

Sponsor

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
One of the legal program (Adaalat on Sky 807, 78 pm Tues, Wed, Thurs), I heard a lawyer saying that if you don't have a status and you get married here and spend three years (or is it 2 years) with your wife then Home Office will look at your application in a favourable way.  Conditions are
1. You are not in the eyes of Home office.
2. Removal orders are not issued against you. 

I am sure there is more then meets the eye but if you are in this situation, it will be worth cheking with the solicitor.  Can Mr. P Pron or anyone else shed more light on this?

I guess they were talking about ILR, thats why I thought it might be two years because after three years you will be eligible for citizenship.

Waheed