12 years ago

Hi Jigster,

As an immigration lawyer myself, please allow me to understand you more so I can give a correct advise here and for the benefit of everybody who maybe on the same situation as you are. I understand that the legal paperwork you need to complete for an overseas wedding can be confusing.

You said that you and your fiance are currently living outside the UK, been dating for 2 years and plan to get married this year outside the UK. After marriage, you also intend to live outside the UK. You wanted to know if you are eligible to apply for marriage visa and eventually ILR.

Before I can give you a concrete advise, please allow me to understand these:

1. Which country do you intend to get married to? This is because marriage conducted in some countries are not acknowledged in the UK. You cannot get a British Marriage Certificate if youre marriage is conducted abroad.

You are unable to register an overseas marriage/civil partnership in the UK. As a general rule, as long as your marriage/civil partnership is valid and legal in the country in which it took place, it is likely to be recognised in the UK. If you are in doubt as to the legality of your marriage/civil partnership, please consult a solicitor like ourselves.

If you and your partner settle in the UK after marriage your partner can apply for naturalisation after three years. The Nationality Directorate of the UK Border Agency can provide more information on this.

I hope I can help you more. Please get back to me on if you need more advise or email me don@uklawassociates.co.uk

Regards, Don

Sponsor

jigzter
  • jigzter
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
12 years ago
Hi,

We are looking for some clarification on visas and are hoping that you can help us.

The situation:

- My fiance and I currently live outside of UK. We have been dating for 2 years, and plan to get married at the end of the year (outside the UK)

- Upon marriage, we plan on continuing to live outside UK

Questions:

- Am I still eligible to apply for a marriage visa for the UK if we continue to live outside of it?

- If yes, then after 2 years of having the marriage visa, can I apply for ILR, while continuing to live and work outside UK, or do I have to move back to the UK to apply for an ILR?

Thanks,
Jigzter
sylwiawaw
12 years ago

Dear Sir,

Family/dependant route is available to family members of people who are settled in the UK or have at least limited leave to remain.

Immigration and Legal Advisory Services ILAS (LLP) is an immigration firm based in London offering services such as legal advice and representations to UKBA and Tribunals.

Should you need professional assistance or advice at any stage of the process, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We can assist with entry to the UK, extension of stay, permanent residency, regularization of stay and citizenship. We also have an extensive experience in removal and deportation cases and can request for administrative review/reconsideration of decisions, appeals, process applications outside of the rules based on compassionate ground and offer assistance to those in detention.

Our devoted and fully qualified team of in-house lawyers and ex immigration officers, experienced caseworkers and advocates caters for corporate and private immigration applicants and appellants both in the United Kingdom and worldwide.

Please visit our website at www.ilas.org.uk for detailed information about our services.

You may also ring us on (44) (0) 208 539 6611 or alternatively email us on info@ilas.org.uk or ilas@btconnect.com.

Kind regards,                                                                                                            

Sylwia Wawrzynczak

On behalf of ILAS (LLP)