malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
You are not the only one.  IND support people are also confused

Admin posted this on 5th December
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11464/knowledgeqanda.doc

If you read this doc you will see that you will need to take the test if you apply after April 2, 2007. I also found in the same document which causes little confusion:

"Life in the UK Test
If you pass this test you will not need to produce additional proof of your knowledge of English. This is because to pass the test you will need to be competent in English."

I guess your dates are pretty close and can
go in your favour if you just take the test now which only consists of 3
chapters and later on they will add more chapters.  Then off course we are
not making the judgement and if you ask IND
they will be as confused as us because I never got a straight answer from them.

IMO - Taking test will fulfils the requirement that IND has, so if you are eligible
to apply before 2nd April, I say take the current test because by then you
already placed your application in the home office. I can also conclude from their explanantion above (in bold) taht if you take test once it is valid for ever.

Sponsor

paulasonghurst@hotmail.com.1330535428
17 years ago
Thank you for a quick reply. They do not make it easy I dont think I have to pass the English test as I am Australian and my native language is English it was just the confusion over dates as my paperwork goes in just after the 2nd April but I need to take the test before then. The new book comes out in a few weeks I just didnt know which one to study up on. Once again thank you for your help.
malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
Wishful thinking on your part.  - They don't accept it unless  you are British. Everyone have to take the test (Some Exceptions).  I am American but I had to take it. Funny thing is when my wife(British Citizen) went to America and wanted to get an admission in Local University They ask for TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) She was very upset because she was raised and educated in England. So there you go. 

Good luck if you can avoid it.

kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

And also, even though you are australian and your country swears allegiance to the queen and she is also the figurehead for your country you will still need to swear allegiance to the queen if you go for citizenship and subsequent ceremony. Weird, huh?

17 years ago
Weird is right but we dont make the rules so its head down and study time for me lol. Thanks all for your replies.
17 years ago
Hi I hope someone can help please. I am due to apply for Indefinate Leave To Remain on 5th April (will have served 5 years on ancestral visa then) but am confused as to what test to take now. Can I sit for the new British test (which comes into affect 2nd April) in March or do I take the current one. Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.