lifeintheuktest
11 years ago
Hi, 

I am Indian national married to Polish national wife. She came to UK in Jan 2004 before Poland joined EU. We got married in Feb 2007 in UK. When I applied for family permit few months after marriage, We were told that the family permit cannot be issued as my wife is not registered under the new treaty that came in force in 2006. So we registered in Oct 2007. After that I applied for Residence card which is valid for 5 years until March 2015. Last year (2012) my wife completed her 5 years and been working here all this time. So we made application for her permanent residence document (which is not a requirement but we wanted to be sure) and was issued PR document in Feb 2013. Now my questions are: 

1. Can she apply for naturalisation 12 months after she completed 5-years which was in Oct 2012 or from when she was issued permanent residence which was in Feb 2013. 

2. Does she have to be working or exercising treaty rights for these 12 months or as she has got permanent residence, she can just be in UK without doing anything and still can apply for naturalisation. 

3. As I have been with her as husband for the same 5-years from Oct 2007 to Oct 2012, do I qualify for permanent residence as well OR do I have to wait for my 5-year residence card to come to end and then I apply for naturalisation. 

Thanks in advance for you reply. 

Best Regards,

Sponsor