mrlookforward
10 years ago
1) My wife's Spouse Visa was granted on April 2012 how does she go about getting ILR?

She will have to apply for ILR using form SET(M). She can apply on or after 22nd March 2014.

2) To sit the Life in the UK does she need to do ESOL first? To level B1?

2.1) how can she go about doing this?

Knowledge of Life and language will have two parts when she applies.
First part is passing the Life in the UK Test. This is done in test centres on computer.
Second requirement is to have a B1 level cefr english language qualification in speaking and listening. If her english is not good then she will need to attend classes. If she has some working knowledge of english, then she can simply take a 15 minutes test in speaking and listening.
The questions are like, "How many bedrooms are there in your house?" "who is your doctor"? "What does your husband do?" etc etc. In my opinion, its a very easy exam.

3) Does she need to work and if so how many hours?

She does not need to work, but she can if she wants to.

4) Is there anything that I can do to speed up process her Visa finishes next year July 2014 and she is currently pregnent? This will affect her ESOL at college.

You have the option of applying by post, or if you want you can make a premium same day application at a PEO. You will have to book an appointment online to do that. If you can't find an appointment, then you will have no option but to apply by post. Apart from this, there is nothing you can do to speed up the process. Being pregnant or having a young child has no effect on KoL requirement. She has to meet the requirement no matter what the circumstances.

5) Can the Spouse Visa be extended and if so how much will it cost?

Yes, spouse visa can be extended if you think she wont meet the KoL requirement by the time ILR time comes. I think it costs about £563 or something. You will have to use form FLR(M).
My personal advice is, don't go down this route. Try your best to get her ILR when the time comes.

Also let me tell you that don't get confused with the new rules about £18600 income requirement for ILR or spouse visa extension. She entered UK under the old rules (before 9th july 2012), so the new financial requirements wont apply on her.

regards
Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
10 years ago
Thank you very very very much. That is a big weight lifted off my shoulders. I really appreciate all your help and advice again thank you.

Kindest regards

lifeintheuktest
10 years ago
Sorry to restart an old thread but I have some further questions.

For the English test you said my Mrs could take a '15 minutes test in speaking and listening' How and where can she find out whether or not her current level of english is sufficient?

I am considering sending the Mrs to college to learn but that could take over a year to pass the English test? Which may mean I have to extend her visa or is that perception incorrect?

Furthermore this is probably not the right thread but can you direct me towards the thread which doe into detail about the requirements need to appply for ILR?

Many thanks.
mrlookforward
10 years ago
So you want a test to find out what the result of a test would be? I think there is no such test, lol.

I have already told you that if she cannot achieve a pass in listening and speaking at B1 cefr level then you will have to extend her spouse visa using for flr(m).
Make 100 percent sure that you apply to extend her spouse visa before her current visa runs out.

If you want to send you Mrs to college then its your choice. How she achieves B1 level is your headache. If it takes one year or 10 years its your headache. UKBA is not interested in how your Mrs achieves level B1. What they want is that she has level B1 cefr level in english speaking and listening, full stop. No short cuts or excuses there.

I think you are just coming to forum and asking questions without evening reading basic information on UKBA website. Just read the form SET(M) and guidance. Applying on this form is not rocket science. It pretty simple and straightforward.

regards
lifeintheuktest
10 years ago
Hiya,

As mr lookforward advised I have started a new discussion and have included some further information below.

- My Wife applied for her Spouse VIsa from abroad it was granted in 1 April of 2012.
- She arrived in the UK on April 19 2012. 
- Her Visa expires 01/07/14.
- Her Visa says: No recourse to public funds.
- She has lived in the UK continuously since 19 April 2012.
- Her English for the Spouse Visa was Entry Level A1

I need some help the answers above are very clear but I need to know some things:

1) My wife's Spouse Visa was granted on April 2012 how does she go about getting ILR?
2) To sit the Life in the UK does she need to do ESOL first? To level B1?
2.1) how can she go about doing this?
3) Does she need to work and if so how many hours?
4) Is there anything that I can do to speed up process her Visa finishes next year July 2014 and she is currently pregnent? This will affect her ESOL at college.
5) Can the Spouse Visa be extended and if so how much will it cost?

If you require further info please let me know. I thank you all for your responses.

Kind Regards