mrlookforward
9 years ago

Spouse visa is given to live with one's spouse in UK, and not to live outside UK.

Just intention to reside in UK is not enough. You have to prove that you have lived in UK for the necessary period and have to provide the proof of same. As you do not have the necessary documents, your application for ILR will be refused. There is no way around it. I understand your situation with regards to your husband's work, but unfortunately the immigration rules are not drafted to suit personal situation of every individual applicant.  You have to meet the requirements of the rules.  The only solution is to get extension of spouse visa, and then gather necessary proofs, and when you have enough proofs, then apply for ILR.

regards

Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
9 years ago

Dear Mr LookForward,

Many kind thanks for your prompt reply.

At the moment, all our mail is still being sent to our address in the UK. So we do have some of the documents. However, there is no letter in joint names. Banks have made it an issue that my passport does not bear my husband's surname and have to change my name on my passport and i can't do this due to the spouse visa which is pasted in my passport. 

As i mentioned before we are looking for a property in the UK to live in. And if we are able to purchase that before the expiry of my visa and manage to gather 6 documents each in our separate names as spread over the 2 years as possible is it still wise for me to try to make the application?

If you do not advise so. Then what is the procedure for the spouse visa extension? And also how long will this extension be granted for?

mrlookforward
9 years ago

I am hearing it first times that banks are insisting on you to change your surname. Well, its not cuckooland, its UK. There is never ever a need to change your surname to your surname.

I wonder how would you create 6 documents with dates in past? If you know of any people who can do this, then please let me know.

Buying a house does not make a difference.

"Living together" is the key.

You fill up form flr (m) to apply for extension. Extension will be for the same period as initial visa.

lifeintheuktest
9 years ago

Dear Mr Lookforward,

I am just as surprised as you are with regards to the banks saying this to me. I am from Singapore and there are no such requirements there. 

All my communication still goes to my address in the UK none of it to Brussels. I have kept things that way and i return to the UK every now and then to check my mail. 

I rang the Border Agency to find out how to get an extension on my spouse visa and they have assured me that i am eligible to apply for the ILR. I do not need to ask for an extension on my spouse visa. As you mentioned 'living together is the key' and that is what he said to me as well. He said to me to put in my application and don't see any problems for me to do so as the point of the exercise is to see if we are still married and are cohabitating together which we are. Doesn't matter if its in the UK or Europe. Just to provide proof of both addresses.

Thank you for your help.

lifeintheuktest
9 years ago

Hi there,

I have decided to go ahead with an FLR (M) application and i have booked an appointment with the premium centre. Am just wondering will i know on the day itself or there is a waiting period to receive my reply? I have  a friend who applied for ILR at the same premium centre and told me she received her answer and biometric card on the same day. Just wonder if everyone had the same experience as her? 

Kind Regards

S

lifeintheuktest
9 years ago

Hi all,

I entered the UK on a spouse Visa as i am married to a British Citizen. My visa is going to expire on the 17th of Dec 2014. 

I have enquired with the UK Border Agencies and there are several proof of address documents that need to  be provided in order to receive my ILR.

However, i have several issues:

1. I have been living in Belgium since Feb 2013. But been returning to the UK every 3 months or so for a week. My husband received a work contract in Belgium and wanted me to stay with him. 

2. We live with his mother in the UK and therefore all the utility bills are under her name. 

3. Because we have spent such a long time outside the UK due to his work (but is tax resident in the UK and paying his taxes here), we aren't able to provide documents for proof address over the entire 2 yr period like what is being requested. 

4. Husband is a business owner and business is registered in the UK and received this contract via an agency in the UK.

5. We have every intention to reside permanently in the UK and are currently looking for a property here. But  he goes where the work is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or close situation to mine? How easy or difficult has the process to apply for ILR been for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many kind thanks