mrlookforward
10 years ago
1. Yes, if you are a citizen of A8 countries then WRS is required.

2. First of all ask your employers if they have any records. If they do not have any records, then you can obtain information that UKBA holds about you by making a subject access request. The fees for this is £ 10 only. Send a simple letter requesting information, and include a photocopy of your passport. Send this with a recorded delivery. Subject Access Request may take upto 2 months to arrive. During this period do not make any enquiries from UKBA or try to rush the process, as this will only prolong the process.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navigation/personal-data/

If you were registered for WRS, UKBA will have records. If after receiving the information you discover that you were not registered for WRS then your residence will simply not count. Only the residence from 1st may 2011 will count, as this was the date when WRS was abolished. If you were not registered for WRS, then you will only qualify for British Citizenship on 1st May 2017 if you meet other standard requirements too.

regards

Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
10 years ago
thanks mr lookforward, this is brilliant explanation.

I just wish WRS requirement for naturalization was described more clearly on ukba website.
mrlookforward
10 years ago
Actually WRS is not a requirement for naturalisation.

One of the requirements of naturalisation is having no time limit on applicant stay in UK. This is in most cases either an ILR under immigration rules, or PR under EU regs.

PR under EU regs is gained by exersing treaty rights for 5 years. A8 citizens could only legally exercise treaty rights if they were registered for WRS.

So, its a legal ladder. One step leads to the other, until you reach the top. Every step has its own requirements.

So, if you did not register for WRS, you did not exercise treaty rights.

And because you did not exercise treaty rights (for 5 years) you did not gain PR.

And because you did not gain PR, you do not qualify for naturalisation.

regards
lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Hey All

I was progressing on my naturalization path having passed my Life In UK test, got referees, filling in form_an and trying to book nationality checking service.

All seemed in order until NCS booking required me to fill in 'When did you receive indefinite leave to remain' field.

I was under impression that as a member of EEA (following wikipedia):

'Citizens of countries in the European Economic Area (other than British and Irish citizens) and Swiss citizens obtain permanent residence status automatically after five years' residence in the United Kingdom exercising Treaty rights rather than ILR'

However when I contacted council they advised me they require a date which is 5 years from the date I acquired Worker Registration Scheme.

I have been working in UK since 2006 as full time employee in large VAT registered company but sadly I do not recall if I applied for WRS (having thought it was done automatically through company's HR department).

I am unable to obtain any information from Home Office or Border Agency as they are notoriously difficult to contact.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Do I really need WRS for naturalization?

2) If so, how do I check if my records exist and if they don't what should I do?