lifeintheuktest
9 years ago

Hi there,

I have been living in the UK since November 2009 as a family member of an EEA person (my husband). I entered the country using a 6-month visa and then I received a 5-year Residence Card that will expire November 2015. My husband received his British passport a couple of months after my entering to UK (in 2010); as a result, he gave up his EEA nationality and passport (as two citizenship was not possible). My questions are:

1. Am I still considered an EEA family member and should follow EEA rules for naturalisation or I am considered the wife of a British citizen now and should follow its rules?

2. If still EEA, does the 5-year residing in UK (the requirement for Naturalisation) start from the date I entered the country or the starting date of my 5-year Residence Card?

3. If the former is the answer, does it mean that I can apply for my Naturalisation on November 2014 (still one year to the expiry date of my Residence Card)?

4. The UK Border Agency website says that after residing in the UK for 5 years I will automatically have the indefinite leave to remain in the UK; however, I can apply to receive a certificate. Is this certificate necessary for applying for Naturalisation or I can apply as soon as my 5- year residence is fulfilled?

5. Because my husband has got a British passport, can I apply for naturalization immediately after my 5 year residence or I have to wait another 12 months on top of that?

6. How the situation will be different if I get a divorce when my 5-year residence is fulfilled? Should I have to wait another 12 months?

Thanks a million for your help.

Sponsor