malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
18 years ago
Hi Lora:

I am not aware of 4 years rule. It was Three year if you were married to British National and Five years for any other way. If you read "Nationalization Application Stages" from the main page you will get detailed options. You need only minimum of One year "Indefinite Leave to Remain" and total 5 years in UK a syou are not married to a British National.

There are other requirements that you sholdn't be out of the country for 450 days in the 5 years and must have less then 90 days out of the country in last 12 months.

To answer your question with the information you have provided, you should be able to apply for citizenship. It is clearly defined in the guidance note for nationality application.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/applying/british_nationality/application_forms.Maincontent.0004.file.tmp/Form%20AN%20New.pdf

If you find any reference to 6 years, please send the URL, I like to read it.

Hope this helps
Sponsor

lora7_1000@yahoo.co.uk.1330535424
18 years ago

Hi.

Thanks for answering me.

...If you find any reference to 6 years, please send the URL, I like to read it.... I haven't found any reference to 6 years. But if I find I'll post it here.

...You need only minimum of One year "Indefinite Leave to Remain" ... BUT to be abble to applay for Indefinite you need to have minimum 5 years ..... Logicaly this means total of 6 years :-/

Who knows?

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
18 years ago
Usually you can interpret it the way you want. However, I think it is very clear  that you either need 3 years or Five years to apply for Citizenship.  I don't know where you get 5 years to apply for Indefinite? (I thought we were discussing Citizenship)  If you want to make it harder to understand that is up to you but it is very clear in black and white from Home office. 

I think you were also logically thinking of 4 and 6 years.  Good luck and have it your way. As long as you get what you wants, who cares if it is 3 or 5 years(As Home Office says) and 4 or 6 years as you understand.

18 years ago

Hi, Waheed

You are absolutely right. I do not have to think logically or interpret what is already in black and white. It is really clear.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best

18 years ago

Hi, everybody

Do somebody know how many years peoples have to live in the UK to have the rights to apply for British Citizen?

With the new low from 1 April 2006 applicants for Indefinite have to been in the UK for atleast 5 years (increasing from 4 to 5 yaers). Does it mean automatically that applicants for British Citizen have to have atleast 6 years (5+1) living in the UK

I have Indefinite leave remain for more than 2 years (I'm not married for British) and have 5 years in the UK. Am I qualifyed to applay? V-.

Many thanks