malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
Home Office will encourage you to transfer it in new passport. Obviously it will be money out of your pocket.  I have different take on it. My opinion is that you keep both passport together and they should not have any problem with it.  I did travel with both passports together and they did not have any problem. You definitely don't have to go with my opinion.

Another evidence you have is the letter from Home Office. They should have given you the letter when they gave you ILR. You can keep this letter with you when ever you travel and both passports also just to be on the safe side.

I don't think the fee is 500 unless you are planning to visit the home office personally and wanted to get it done in a day.  I believe it might be between 200-300 but do check with home office and give them a call before making a decision.

Personally, I did not spend that money and I still have my original Sticker on the old passport.

Hope I answered your question and concern

Sponsor

hasanhadi2000@yahoo.com.1179523920
17 years ago

Dear Waheed

Thanks for your prompt reply. I went in person to get our residency status. So I don't have any home office letter. My worry is when we will apply for british passport next Jan 2007 whether this will cause any problem in applying the passport. Is there any web address where I can get the information regarding the transfer of visa?

Thanks.

Hasan

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago

If you need a Home office reference then
you might have to dig their Web site but from my experience and knowledge your
old passport and new passport is only for them to identify you and not
penalized you for not paying them money for transfer of ILR sticker.

There is a discussion group on Workpermit,
you can check similar case at this location:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=12190&sid=78a2978381e09bcb9cb02accf69219c1

You will not need your current passport for
applying British Passport as you will get a Nationality Certificate and they
will use that certificate to issue you British passport. When you apply for
nationalization they will sort out everything and will return your passports
without putting anything in it. Once your application for nationalization is
approved and Home Office has issued you the certificate, they wash their hands
off your native country?s passport. Don?t
worry if you are applying for nationalization in January

kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

"You will not need your current passport for applying British Passport as you will get a Nationality Certificate and they will use that certificate to issue you British passport. When you apply for nationalization they will sort out everything and will return your passports without putting anything in it. Once your application for nationalization is approved and Home Office has issued you the certificate, they wash their hands off your native country?s passport. Don?t worry if you are applying for nationalization in January"

The Passport website states that you are required to submit, with your application, your passport with which you entered the UK. If you have more than one, because for example you changed your surname, it would probably be best to submit both. They should be returned to you if your home country supports dual citizenship. 

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Actually, the passport(s) should be returned  to the applicant whether their original home country supports dual nationality or not - the British government doesn't enforce other countries' nationality laws for them...
grayda2000@hotmail.com.1330535426
17 years ago

Apologies, my typing fingers were running ahead of my brain! How unusual, it's usually my mouth!

What I was trying to explain was that you DID (unlike previous advice) need to submit your passport that you entered the UK with and if there were any name changes you might need your current passport or documentation showing the name change.

hasanhadi2000@yahoo.com.1179523920
17 years ago
We have got permanent residency in Jan 2006. My wife?s native passport is expiring in October this year. She is having her new passport (native) in Sept/Oct 2006.She will keep the old passport with the new one. My question is does she need to transfer her residency status to the new passport from old one? I understand it cost a lot (??£500). Please need some help regarding this. Thanks