kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

In my husbands case, he initially came in on a working holiday visa, then two years leater changed (in country) to an Ancestry visa, this is the visa he used to get ILR then Citizenship. He put the date he enterd the UK on the WHV. But I think in your case (and this is only a think) because you were out of the country when you applied for the work permit you should use that as the date you entered the UK date to settle. If it meets the length of time 'residence requirements' (five years) then it should be okay. e careful when you submit it as you need to show that you were PHYSICALLY PRESENT in the UK EXACTLY five years to the day the HO receive your application.

eg you arrived in UK 15/12/01 for example, make sure your application doesn't arrive at the HO until 16/12/06 or after. So although you got ILR in November 05, and you have had it for one year as specified, don't submit it till the correct date.See page 5 of the guide.

And I am presuming you have sat the life in the Uk test and passed?

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Margaret-ann

Sponsor

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

I think it's the perfect example of just how difficult it is to design
a form so that it asks precisely the right questions - especially given
that no two people have precisely the same circumstances!

IF Miriam hadn't taken that gap between October and December 2001, she
would have been able to apply for naturalisation on the first
anniversary of receiving ILR. And in that case, I'd have suggested that
she put the April 1998 date as her date of arrival.

But she did take that gap, and
you're absolutely right, Margaret-ann, to emphasise Miriam's need to
have been physically in the UK on the day EXACTLY
five years before submitting the naturalisation application. So if she
were to apply today, the application would probably not succeed,
because the gap means that she was not in UK on 1 December 2001 -
exactly five years ago...

So I agree that Miriam needs to apply on (or soon after) the fifth
anniversary of her return with the WP, and while she could still put
April 1998 as her date of arrival, my own inclination would be to put
it as whatever date in December 2001 it was, when she entered on the WP.

There you are, Miriam - you ask one question, and you get the answer to TWO questions!

rgds - and don't forget to let us know how you get on...

paul

17 years ago

Thanks paul, for making my answer a bit clearer for Miriam.

houns9@yahoo.co.uk.1330535424
17 years ago
I would suggest Miriam puts down the date as December 2001 for the simple reason that she came to settle in December 2001 and not before that as her previous visas were for studies and not settlement.
m.miriam2006@yahoo.fr.1201035617
17 years ago

Paul/ margaret-ann

Thank you very much for your help and clarification.

Yes, I will make sure that I have been physically present on the day  5 years before the application submission. I will also go ahead and put my entry to settle in being Dec 2001 (my entry as WP)

Paul, I have another question: my referee are British born whom they known very well me from April 1998 (since my studies and I have kept close contact with them up-to-date). Is it okay to put them as my referrees? Not sure if it is going to create a conflict as it is a earlier then Dec 2001 (which I am going to put as my entry to settle in)

No I have not yet taken the UK life test but I am preparing for it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks to all of you for your help and support,

Best Regards,

Miriam

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
" Is it okay to put them as my referrees?"

I'm sure this will be fine, Miriam - a glance at your passport (showing your status in April 1998) will clear up any confusion - if they even notice that difference in the dates!

alll the best
paul
17 years ago

Paul,

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best Regards, Miriam

17 years ago

"I would suggest Miriam puts down the date as December 2001 for the simple reason that she came to settle in December 2001 and not before that as her previous visas were for studies and not settlement."

Well, we already decided to use that date but not for the reason you state. My husband initially entered the UK on a WHV and was not intent on remaining  to settle, however things changed and he did decide to stay , just like Miriam in a way. The only difference being the gap she has in her residence. Paul clearly identified that she could choose either date and both would be okay.

17 years ago

Let me take this opportunity to thank the team for this fantastic site!

In the application form for Naturalisation, there is a question on when was the first time you enter the UK to settle in. I am confused on what is being define as settle in. Here are my details:

I came first in Apr 98 with a short stay student visa ( for 2 months) then extended my leave to remain in July 98 (         I applied for the extension from the UK) for another 3 years to do a degree. In Oct 2001, I finished my studies and went bask home but them I came back to the UK in Dec 2001 as a work permit holder and I received my ILR based on work permit holder category in Nov 2005.

Since only the last 5 years counts towards the requirement, I am confused to what I should put as the first entry date to settle in is it: Apr 98, July98 or Dec 2001?

Paul could you please let me know your expert opinion.

Thanks, I will appreciate your help,

Best Regards, Miriam