paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Why post two similar questions? It isn't necessary, and causes confusion..

IND are tightening their procedures by requiring that one of the referees should be someone "of standing in the community", rather than simply a friend or acquaintance. Effectively, what they are doing is much the same as the Passport Office has been doing for well over a hundred years....

Page 24 of the new Guide AN(TD) now says:
"Each referee must have known you personally for at least three years. One referee should be a person of professional standing, such as a doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body eg accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). The other should be the holder of a current British citizen passport. Each should be:
  • aged 25 years or over
  • not related to you
  • not related to the other referee
  • not your solicitor or agent representing you with this application
  • not employed by the Home Office"
What IND haven't done is to issue any detailed guidance to the public on the new requirements, and neither has their internal staff guidance been updated.

Don't take this as a definitive statement - it is only my suggestion - but until there is proper IND guidance available, I think it might be an idea to look at the guidance on coutersignatories (which is very comprehensive) on the Passport Office website - here - www.passport.gov.uk/passport_countersign.asp. If you know someone who fits into that lengthy list of acceptable passport countersignatories, then phone up the Nationality Enquiry Bureau and ask them if they will accept them as a nationality referee. I'd be surprised if they say no...

paul

Sponsor

emilaghayev@yahoo.co.uk.1330535428
17 years ago

Dear Paul,

Just wanted to say thank you for your detailed reply and please accept my apology for confusing you.

The question however is what I do not know anyone from this background? Just slightly worried that they might refuse my application.

Thank you,

Emil.

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Hi Emil

I think you need to think harder! Don't you go to the doctor or dentist, for example? Or have kids at school, who have teachers?

How were you intending to get a passport after your naturalisation, given that the Passport Office would have asked you for a suitable countersignatory whether or not the Home Office had introduced the new requirement?

If you really don't know anyone who can fit the Home Office's requirement, I can only suggest that you phone them on 0845 010 5200 for advice - the line is open from 9am to 9pm...

good luck
paul

17 years ago

HI Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

I received a reply from the Home Office confirming the same. I think I might have found a suitable referee. Thanks once again

17 years ago

Hi All,

Happy New Year by the way 🙂 !

I am about to complete my application for Naturalisation and stuck on the referee bit. I have two British referees however none of them is of a professional background (doctor, minister of religion, account and etc.) as requested on the application form.

What should I do? I appreciate your answers in advance.

Regards,

Emil.