mrlookforward
13 years ago
My visa is valid from 23/06/08 till 23/06/10 but i entered the UK on 21/07/08 on a spouse visa and my partner is a British national. As per immigration rules, one has to complete two years from the date on which u enter the UK. However, my visa expires a month prior to me completing two years.
Do I now need to apply for a visa extension for a month or should I still go ahead with the Indefinite Leave To Remain application??

You are very lucky, you have been saved just by one day. If you had arrived in UK on 22/07/08, you would have been required to apply for an extension on form FLRM and then apply for ILR at a later date.

Actually you are allowed to submit you application 28 days prior to your 24 months stay in UK on spouse visa. You will fulfill your 24 months on 21/07/2010. If you minus 28 days from that, you get the date of 23/06/2010. This is the earliest you can apply, and in your particular case this is the last day you can apply because your visa expires on this date.

So in a nutshell if you apply exactly on 23/06/2010, you can apply for ILR. Application for ILR are deemed to be made on the day they are posted, and not on the day they are received at Home Office. You should complete your application carefully and send it by Recorded Delivery on 23/06/2010, and you must keep the receipt safe as a proof that you sent the application on time.
If you apply a day before 23/06/2010, it will be returned to you as "invalid application" because it will be before time.
If you apply a day after 23/06/2010 it could be rejected because it will be an out of time application and there is no right of appeal for out of time applications.
So, the only day you can apply for ILR is 23/06/2010. Miss this date, and you are in trouble.

Hope it helps

Any doubts, ask me
Sponsor

nileshtank@gmail.com.1330536374
13 years ago
My visa is valid from 23/06/08 till 23/06/10 but i entered the UK on 21/07/08 on a spouse visa and my partner is a British national. As per immigration rules, one has to complete two years from the date on which u enter the UK. However, my visa expires a month prior to me completing two years.
Do I now need to apply for a visa extension for a month or should I still go ahead with the Indefinite Leave To Remain application???