mrlookforward
13 years ago
What is your nationality?
Sponsor

mooreraz22
13 years ago
Am Nigerian and been living in the UK since 1996. Got my Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2006. So do i still need to provide evidence of exercising treaty rights for 5 years when i put in my naturalisation application?
mrlookforward
13 years ago
NO, not at all. This proof of "exercising treaty rights" is only for the citizens of EU. You should completely ignore all such requirements and references to "exercising treaty right". All you need as proof for your naturalisation application is your passport/s and Life in the UK test pass certificate. If you get stuck anywhere, don't hesitate to ask again.

regards
mooreraz22
13 years ago
Thanks ever so much Mr Lookforward, I certainly will lookforward to sharing any more difficulty i might face, but you have been very helpful in every sense.
niva10
  • niva10
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
13 years ago

Hi there.

I am just appling for my permanent residence and I know that in 12 months after have it I can apply for my naturalization.

I am brazilian, my wife is german. For the naturalization i have almost everything they ask for. But I don't have this "Evidence of exercising treaty rights for five years" In 12 months time I will have evidence (P60) for just 3 and a half years.

Is it possible I apply for naturalization or I have to wait till I have the 5 years P60?

My wife has more than 7 years of this evidence of exercising treaty rights, could this help me in my aplication?

Thanks a lot 

Dschnapp@gmail.com.1330536375
13 years ago
If you have indefinite leave to remain you don't need any evidence of exercising treaty rights (which only applies to EU nationals anyway), but as far as I understand you need to have permanent residence (PR) in order to apply for ILR, and you can apply for naturalisation after that.
chocoguy
10 years ago

I am a non eu who is married to an EU and we both live in czech.   I just completed my degree and would like to move to UK to work and do my masters as i would like to earn my masters in an English country. I understand that if i want to be able to work in the UK, my wife should be exercising her EU right by working, or seeking employment.  I have a problem here as my wife is pregnant. she still earns money here in czech since she is pregnant and doesnt work at the moment.  she plans to work in the UK after she delivers since we both would be living in the UK.   We dont know how to go about this.. or would i be given a residence if my wife delivers in the UK, being an the Dad of an EU?  

mrlookforward
10 years ago

You will face difficulties with your plan. 

Dad of an EU citizen will mean nothing, so you can forget about it. Also keep in mind, that depending upon the hospital and how clued up they are about the rules, if your wife delivers in UK, and hospital is a bit clued up, you might face a big bill. If they do bill you, and you live in UK, then be assured they will chase you all the way to recover money.

You whole status in UK will depend entirely on your wife exercising treaty rights. Your wife being pregnant cannot work, so she can't exercise treaty rights. The way around it is, that if your wife has cash savings, the she can obtain residence card based on being "self sufficient". Both of you will need comprehensive sickness insurance to succeed in this category. After this, if you can start work, then your wife can still be regarded as self sufficient because you are working, and you get your rights because she gets her rights. Call it ping pong. Keep in mind, your wife has to continuously exercise treaty rights for 5 years for both of you to gain permanent residence in UK.

regards

fpisti35
10 years ago

Hello There,

We are a Hungarian family and live over 5 years ago in UK.  I'm self employed over 6 years ago and my wife work in part time. Our income a bit low so we get Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Someone told us we aren't on Treaty Right if we get any public founds. Is this true? How can we get Permanent Resident status?

RGS

Istvan

mrlookforward
10 years ago

You have to produce full evidence that you have been self employed. This will be HMRC self assesment documents and proof of tax paid for all the years. Also some bank statements to back it up.

For you wife it will be a different story if she has not been working for full 5 years at least. I do not want to ask personal questions, but can you indicate your wife's full work history including hours worked and wages.

regards

mooreraz22
10 years ago
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone ccould help me out with this, i read on the UK Border Agency site that when applying for Naturalisation, one need to provide Evidence of exercising treaty rights for five years.

My question:

Who are those people required to provide such infomation

2) I currently hold an Indefinite Leave to Remain which was issued in 2006, do i also need to provide the ( Evidence of exercising treaty rights for five years) ?

I was informed that am eligible to apply for naturalisation after one year

A very good response will be very much appreciated as am thinking of putting my application through

Many thanks