Dschnapp@gmail.com.1330536375
13 years ago
In the end it was all for nothing.

I came to the UK in 1987 and got married in 1989. I never applied for ILR because it was no longer deemed necessary for EU citizens. However, the rules changed in 2000. Since I did not have ILR, my residence status reverted to 'temporary' (despite being married to a British national and living in the UK continuously) and since I haven't worked or claimed benefit in the last 3-5 years, I have not been 'exercising my treaty rights'. Turns out I would have needed to have some sort of separate insurance to be listed as 'self-sufficient'during that time.

The way out of this loophole is either to find work/re-enter the benefit system or apply for permanent residence status and ILR, even though it cannot be endorsed in my passport (they issue a separate certificate) and then go through the whole process again once the time is up. I might as well just have stepped off the boat.

Something to consider. And good move to go to the Nationality Checking Service first, before coughing up the fee for the Home Office!
Sponsor