boro
  • boro
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
12 years ago
Hi and thanks for reading this,

I'm Croatian national who has Indefinite leave to remain (residence permit) in the UK. I got my residence since I am married to the British national. Unfortunately our marriage didn't work out at the end and we split some time after I got my residence, though we never went back in Croatia (where we got married) and officially divorce.

My question is how I should apply for British citizenship? On basis of time length (5 years begin in the UK as for people who got Indefinite leave to remain) through work permits over 4 years period) or as spouse (they can apply after 3 years being in the UK) or in some other way? if so how?

I'm here 5 years, worked all the time, pay taxes and never in my life committed any crime or offense. I am really confused what should people in my situation do: on application form for naturalization there are questions about partner and am I married or legally separated. What is legally separated?
I would really appreciate if somebody know of similar example and what he or she has done.
Any reliable experience or experienced advice is more than welcomed.
Thank you!
Sponsor

multicloud9000
12 years ago
Dear Rosyn,

I was in the same dilemma as you. Best thing is to apply on your own merit having lived here long enough to gain citizenship provided you have qualified for the time period needed, which was what I did. If you lack qualifying period You could still apply as a spouse of a Bristish national but you would need to get your ex to fill in,and supply his passort details, marriage contract etc.

If you qualify eitherway, it shouldnt really be a problem which way you wan to apply. Just ensure that your ex will consent to supplying his passport copies etc. It will be much simpler for you if you apply as having lived here long enough, on your own merit.

You mentioned you have officially divorced? legally separated, is another legal agreement which should not apply to you. if you are divorced then you are divorced.

Hope this helps.