lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can answer to my question, whose answer I could not find on the UK Border Agency's website.

I am an EEA national and will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship end of 2014. I got married abroad to my wife who is also an EEA national but who will not have completed her qualifying period by the time I complete mine. we will have by end of next year more than 4 years of marriage. She joined me in the UK in September 2009. so by end of next year she will be eligible for ILR but being an EEA national she is not obliged to apply formally for it.

My question is: Can we make a joint application for British Citizenship in September 2014 having in mind the facts that:

- I will have completed my qualifying period

- she will be eligible for ILR

- we'll have been married for 4 years by next year

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Denis

Sponsor

mrlookforward
10 years ago

First of all, EEA nationals and their family members get PR, not ILR.

If you and your wife apply together in sept 2014, then there is a high risk of refusal of your wives application. Also keep in mind, there is no appeal. If the application is refused, all your money will be down the drain.

Best way is, you apply when you qualify and get naturalised. Once your wife clocks 5 years, she applies based on PR gained and being  married to a British Citizen.

Once again, before submitting naturalisation application, make sure you do qualify 100 percent, because if you do not succeed there is no appeal and all the money is lost.

regards