lifeintheuktest
17 years ago

I agree with your comments entirely.

The quiz questions for the old book are the worst when it comes to use of English however they will be deactivated soon therefore I do not see any reason to update them.

I've decided to put our efforts on new sections. Proof reading for all new questions will be arranged once they are complete.

Regards,

E Fidan
Administrator

Sponsor

sinikka@delco.idps.co.uk.1330535430
17 years ago

Yes - that makes a lot of sense. We are only using the old book because that is what we studied and there doesn't seem much point in switching at this late stage as we hope to take the test in May. It will be interesting to take a look at the new book - hopefully it is better than the old!

Once again - thanks for a great site and for all the voluntary effort that has been put in to preparing and maintaining it. This sort of voluntary effort is a better example of 'Britishness' than any amount of sterile statistics!

Good luck with your continuing endeavours!

okravchenok
17 years ago

thank you so much for you site!

i passed yesterday after studying  just material in your chapters and quizzes. i am a teacher myself, and was very pleased how the material was written, i found your checklists at the end of each section espesially helpful.

with regards to the use of english, i didn't find it confusing at all. what i found confusing was the use of english when i was at the exam! some of the questions were also very confusing and stupid. (example: persantage of people in the uk having membership in political parties in the last few years a) rapidly falling b) rapidly growing c) slowly falling d) slowly growing

thank you again for your site and best wishes for the future!

olya wild

sinikka@delco.idps.co.uk.1330535430
16 years ago

This is an excellent site and we are very grateful to those who have worked hard to make it available - and free of charge. So please take the following comments as constructive criticism - perhaps to make the site even better:

1. There is a large number of spelling, grammatical and typographical mistakes in the quiz questions. This sometimes makes the questions harder to read than they might be. In a few cases it results in the question being ambiguous.

2. I would guess that the primary author(s) is/are not native English speakers. All the more credit to him/her/them for making the effort to create such a good site. However, perhaps he/she/they could consider asking a well-educated native speaker of British English to edit and proof-read the questions? It should not be too onerous a task.

3. In fairness to the author(s), the original 'Life in the UK' book is also very poorly written - with quite unnecessarily complex English structures and vocabulary and occasional factual errors. This is much less excusable in a book produced by the government and for which people have to pay!

Again - many, many thanks for a site that is generally accurate and easy to use. These comments are intended to help and I hope that you will accept them in that spirit!

Just one example perhaps:

"What is the percentage of voting below the age of 25 in the General Election of 2001?"

This could mean either:

(a) What percentage of those who voted in the General Election of 2001 were below the age of 25?

or

(b) What percentage of people under the age of 25 voted in the General Election of 2001?

Fortunately the answer is the same in both cases! (< 50%).

Best regards and best wishes for your further endeavours!

Sinikka Savonen / Mike Harris
tinks
  • tinks
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
16 years ago

Glad to see that you will be checking and proofreading your latest sections.  It does give a bad impression when the language used is not accurate and there are a no of errors.  I wasn't sure whether I ought to continue using the site.  However, reading the messages here reassures me that there will be quality control.

I agree: nice bit of "britishness" going on here.  Cheers for that.

Tinks