irispink@wildmail.com.1256680559
16 years ago

Maureen,

That's weird.  Why would they need your parents marriage papers?  Did they say why?  I'd be interested in hearing what reason (s) they have to give.  Let us know what happens with your appeal & how you get along.

Good luck.

Ellen

Sponsor

fr.will@zen.co.uk.1330535427
16 years ago
The parents' marriage can have significant bearing on Commonwealth people born before the current 1981 immigration laws came into effect in 1983 -- and especially on those born before the independence of the larger empire. Depending on when a person was born, certain sections of the 1971 and 1949 laws may still have effect. Including whether so-called illegitimate children can inherit British nationality and Right of Abode, or people born to a British mother and a non-British or non-Right-of-Abode father. (Before 1983, British descent was patrilineal and not matrilineal.)

It's also the case that re-interpretations of Indian citizenship law are currently having an effect on who the government view as British and who they don't. It may have something to do with this.

All the same, it seems odd that, if these papers weren't required in order to grant the previous Right of Abode stamp, they should suddenly be required now. But indeed there are perfectly sensible reasons they might be required in the first place.
jpsmaureen@hotmail.com.1330535431
16 years ago

I re-applied for a Right of Abode on obtaining new passport.  I have been holding the Right of Abode from 1998 obtained in India.  I am a commonwealth citizen born in 1959.  I have been refused the Right of Abode on the basis that I could not produce my Parent's marriage certificate for which I have appealed.  I have also completed 5 years in the UK on 29 July 2007.

Please advice, Can I apply for naturalisation/British citizen and why I have been refused Right of Abode?

Thanks

Maureen  Leslie