paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
It's only two clicks from the front page! http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

Unless you've got travel plans, you don't need a passport... I certainly wouldn't worry about renewing your current one.

paul
Sponsor

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
http://www.passport.gov.uk/index.asp 
Use the Online application process. Saves you time and a trip to Post office for the forms.

Waheed

houns9@yahoo.co.uk.1330535424
17 years ago

Thanks P Pron & Waheed. I think the best option for me is to get my apssport renewed. Even though I have no travel plans but you never know when an emergency arises.

Also it seems there is a factor of luck involved in the processing time. My application has not even reached the hands of a case worker whereas someoen else also using NCS 2 days later got their approval 10 days back !!

lifeintheuktest
17 years ago
There are applications succeeded within weeks and there are others that take months (that includes me).

Was the person you have mentioned from the same country of origin as you are? Although I have no inside knowledge to Home Office IND, I strongly believe that the applications are classified by applicant's country and then submitted to relevant case team. And perhaps if your application is submitted to one of those taking long time (either because the relevent team is busy or your country's condition requires more time to investigate) then you may wait more than the others.

E Fidan
Administrator
ecangeleri@ntlworld.com.1330535427
17 years ago

I think it is a fact that the country of origin plays an important role in the speed of applications: EU citizens, who already have the EU-Citizenship and have the right to live in the UK anyway, are more likely to have a speedy decision, a German friend of mine only took 2 weeks. Also I can imagine that US, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, etc, will have a more speedier decision time than south americans for instance.

I am Italian, so I wonder how long will it take for me...haven't applied yet, but passed the test.

Ed

kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Well my husband is Australian and he sent his application two months ago...and nothing yet! He isn't in any rush so for him it isn't a problem.His application is straightforward, nothing complicated in it.
malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
For me it took 4 months and 10 days. I was Pakistani born-American Citizen and it was based on marriage.
17 years ago

Admin - I was referring to the post "Another Speedy Application" by Troy Judd under General Discussion.

All - Yes it does seem there is a seperate queue for people based on their origin. I am Indian and didnt think it will take more than a month. My Indian passport is useless once I get my British passport so I didnt want to renew it & go for OIC card. But now it seems I will have to spend some time & money to get my Indian passport unless ofcourse I sit tight without a valid passport hoping I dont have to travel outside UK!

Can anyone throw some light on how they find out the country of origin if no case worker is assigned yet?

Also most importantly, does someone know whether the rule of being physically present in the UK is applicable on the day the case worker checks the file or is it the day when the home office sent the ack ?

17 years ago

I have to say that I think the theories about applications being sorted according to country of origin are wrong.

As I understand it applications go to a central point where they are logged into the system and either married with the applicant's existing file or, if he/she doesn't have one, a file is created.

Then the applications are simply dealt out (as in a card game) among the various caseworking groups, in the order in which they arrive. Apart from dealing with naturalisation applications, some of the groups are also trained to deal with the various registration provisions, which require a different skillset. This means that the workload varies among the groups, so some applications take longer than others.

I really think it is as simple as that. I've seen Indians get a result within a couple of weeks and I've seen EU nationals wait for five months. It's random. It depends on how busy the particular group is.

One thing that doesn't help the process, at a time when IND are saying that the average waiting time is 4.5 months, is pestering them after four weeks. That achieves nothing, except that it delays some other guy's application by the length of time it took to deal with the telephone enquiry...

To answer your "physical presence" question, you need to have been free of time limits on your stay for one year on the day that IND receive your application, and you need to have been in the UK on a day precisely five years before that. It is nothing to do with when the caseworker looks at it. It is when it arrived. And I'd be surprised if Guide AN(NEW) doesn't say that somewhere.

paul

17 years ago

Might be... but I bet there is a difference depending on your origins...

As the Guide AN(New) is out of date, August 2005, as it is the the Naturalising form. The new rules of the EU Directive have not been updated and I get conflicting and unclear messages messages from different sources withing the Directorate regarding the ILR for EU Citizens.

A new set of regulations came in on the 30th April 2006, where EC nationals having been living and working in the UK continuously for 5 years, do not need to apply for indefinite leave to remain(ILR) in the UK. Up until this date all EC nationals needed to apply for ILR before applying for British citizenship, even though they could live and work freely within the UK. As stated above this has now changed and the rules for applying for British citizenship as an EC national are as follows:

· As a person not married to a British citizen and have been exercising EEA free movement rights in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years will be regarded as settled for nationality purposes. However they will also need to be settled for a full 12 months. This means that you will need to have been living in the UK for 6 years before you can apply for British citizenship

· For a person married to a British citizen they only need to be exercising free movement rights as an EEA national for 5 years

· To support this application you need to send the following documents. Letters from your employers covering the appropriate residency period, or information from your local tax office if you don?t have letters from employers covering the residency period.

But if you ring them, they tell you even if you have been in he UK since 1998 you have to wait until 30th April 2007 to submit your application.

17 years ago

I'm sorry; I understand what you are saying about the new regulations. What I don't understand is whether you are asking a question or, if not, what point you are making...

paul

17 years ago
I am making a point, if it si no clear to you I am sorry. No worries.
17 years ago

Maybe it is me, but I cannot see what the new regulations on ILR for EU/EEA nationals have to do with what we were talking about, which was originally how long it takes for an application to be dealt with, and drifted into whether the original nationality of the applicant has any bearing on the speed with which the application is processed.

Anyway, leaving that aside, can you explain what is wrong with the Home Office advice that an EU national would have to wait until April 2007 to apply for naturalisation? Are you talking about someone married to a BC, or someone who is NOT married to a BC? What do you think they should be able to apply?

paul
kerrasp@yahoo.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

I agree with your thinking Paul, which is why I posted my comments. According to many, my husband, being Australian and via an AV, should be at the front of the queue affording him  a speedy response. He didn't get priority, therefore it must be random and dependant on how busy a caseworking group or individual is. He fully expects to wait a few more months.

Patience everyone; All good things come to those who wait.

17 years ago

Thanks for that, distant Mrs G! I'm fairly sure I am right - and I certainly echo the sentiments in your final sentence.... :)

I've just noticed a typo in the last line of my last post - I meant to ask "WHEN do you think they should be able to apply?" - not "What...."

paul

17 years ago

"One thing that doesn't help the process, at a time when IND are saying that the average waiting time is 4.5 months, is pestering them after four weeks. That achieves nothing, except that it delays some other guy's application by the length of time it took to deal with the telephone enquiry..."

Just to clarify on the above point. The people dealing with telephone enquiries would be diferent from those actually handling the case i.e. teh case worker. It doesnot harm in getting an update on the status of your application & it definitely does not slow down anyones process.

Agree with all other points :)

malikw
  • malikw
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
17 years ago
I do see that P Pron has answered the question but it is not in proper sequence, I wonder why. P pron should be listed first but it is your question that is listed. There must be an issue with site update.

My answer is same. I will post it one more time in case you are having similar problems.
If you checked the main home page of this site the link "Home Office British Nationality Page" goes to the site and it has listed the approximate time for type of application. Hope this is what you were looking for

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

1. Remember you are not British until your application is approved an dyou have taken the oath.

2. Passport is totally independent and must be obtained after you are British Citizen.

As long as you dont have any travel plans, you will be fine. It doesn't matter if your passport is expired or not.

If you have travel plans in next 6 months, you should renew the passport. If not sit tight and wait for Citizenship and Passport.  After Citizenship passport will take approximately 6 weeks.

Waheed

lifeintheuktest
17 years ago
I agree with your point, the people dealing with the calls are 'gate keepers' and they are there to stop people disturbing case workers.

Having said that, there is no use calling Home Office before the average waiting time, the only update you will hear is the average waiting time which you can easily find on their website. You will not waste caseworker's time but will waste yours and gate keeper's.

E Fidan
Administrator

snidge2000@yahoo.com.1330535427
17 years ago

Is that right Waheed ? ...6 weeks for the issue of a new British passport . I know that by using the "check and send " service offered by the post office the processing times are fairly quick . I think for my two children's first passports and certainly from there on in they've never waited more than a fortnight ..infact my son's renewed passport was recently sent back to us within 6 days .

I realise that the circumstances are different but i'm wondering if the check and send service is of much use to first time applicants now . They say that they'll endeavor to have your passport with you within two weeks ...and i was really hoping i could make use of that . 

17 years ago

The website says that for an application by "Check & send" its 2 weeks & otherwise its 3 weeks (or is it 3 & 4 weeks?....). I dont see much point in using the check & send service. Go to the website & fill in the online application form. Shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to answer the questions. The home office will pre-populate your details and send the form to you so that you can sign & paste the photos, etc. No need to fill the form so no errors.

To answer the query of Admin : The 'gatekeeper' did tell me that it could take upto 6 months but most importantly he also told me the status of my application....it was awaiting to be allocated to a case worker.

To Waheed : My Indian passport runs out on 21/11 & I have my ceremony on 22/11. I donot have any immediate plans to travel but the query was more to do with my status i.e. when I am not a British citizen (awaiting ceremony) and my current passport expires (which has the ILR stamp), am I legally staying in the country? I think so, because other than the stamp in the Indian passport, I have the letter from home office granting me ILR. I am ok now anyways as I am having my ceremony the very next day my passport runs out :)