fr.will@zen.co.uk.1330535427
17 years ago
If I understand it correctly, there's a distinction to be made between Indefinite Leave to Remain and the stamp, which simply *says* (to an immigration official, for example) that you have permission to enter and stay.

For example: if your passport has expired, you can renew your ILR stamp (for a fee) -- OR you can travel in and out of the UK on a new passport without the stamp -- provided you have the old, expired one with you, as well. The stamp in the old one will prove you have ILR, and the immigration official should let you in on that basis. (However, I assume that s/he would be within his/her rights not to let you in if you were travelling without a valid passport.)

Bottom line: provided you have no travel plans, it shouldn't matter about your passport, per se. You've been given permission by the British government to stay, and that should not expire just because your Indian-issued passport does.

snidge2000@yahoo.com.1330535427
17 years ago

Thanks for your reply Hounslow ..the reason i wondered is as follows :

Due to some possible problems arising regarding my status upon re-entry to the UK if i leave to travel abroad...Old US passport with ILE but 10 years out of date , 17 years since i last travelled ...and a new US passport , with no ILE and a new surname due to marriage ( long story so i won't bore everyone ) , i took the advice of Paul ( who i have to say is fantastico and his help very much appreciated even if the worrier in me didn't follow his advice 101% but that's my failing  ) and have taken the test and passed that and am now applying for naturalisation . I'm awaiting for my appointment date with the nco but can't see them until the end of this month due to long waiting times .

Earlier last month ( before i realised i might have problems ) i booked a trip abroad which was supposed to take place in Dec of this year but i then cancelled due to these unforseen "possible" problems . The thing is , back in September i also booked a trip for April of next year and i know that time isn't on my side here but i am hoping that maybe ...just maybe ...i might make it in time and have all the necessary formalities completed by the time April 21st arrives , hence my question about it taking 6 weeks to get a passport  . I don't really want to pay for a transfer of ILE incase my application is successful and it then becomes void anyway but it is an option ...and judging by the times some people have had to wait to get their applications approved i might just need it .

Many thanks

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
Thanks for the kind words, JC!

Hounslow has highlighted an interesting point. I agree that the
facility for completing the application online is useful, and makes it
easier to fill in the application form. It also the Passport Office's
life easier because it means that they don't have to scan handwritten
forms into their computer system. But it doesn't necessarily speed
things up. For a start - given that they have to post the form to you,
and you have to sign it and post it back before they'll process it - it
delays their receiving your application for at least a couple of days...

On the other hand, the "Check & Send" service is specifically
designed to  speed things up. If, when the time comes,  you're in the
slightest hurry, use the "Check & Send" service. Really!

Finally, the NCS offices: I don't know where you live, but you're not
restricted to using the local one. Many people phone around to find one
that can fit them in, and make a day trip of it to use an NCS office
miles away.

houns9@yahoo.co.uk.1330535424
17 years ago

William,

You have hit the nail in the head. This IS the million dollar question.

If only someone can confirm this. Ppron is an expert in these matters and we (Waheed, myself, Mrs G) are just amateurs trying to help from our experiences.

17 years ago

Ppron is absolutely right. I missed on the point of timelines as the online application asks for your certificate number which you will get only after the ceremony.

For those people who are not in a hurry, just check the online application. It will save you money & a trip to the post office /agent. The online form asks such bare minimum questions that even a kid can fill it. There would obviously be other details in the printed form, but I believe the home office will populate that from their database. Seems fantastic, like giving your reference number to the utility company & they bringing up all details for you 🙂

paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago
I think William's summary of the situation is very good:  your ILR certainly doesn't expire when your passport does and (although this won't matter to you, Hounslow, because you're going to be a British citizen any minute)  you do not need to pay to get ILR - or other immigration stamps - transferred to a new passport.

You can simply carry the old passport as well.  The following paragraph appears about three quarters of the way down this page of the IND website  http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/applicationforms/:-
"For your information, you can travel with a new valid passport
without having your leave transferred from the previous passport,
provided that you carry your old passport with the endorsement of
leave, or the letter in which your leave was granted."

paul

snidge2000@yahoo.com.1330535427
17 years ago

Thanks Paul , yes i came to realise that i didn't need to use just a local ncs office ...thing is , we don't really have a local office . I live in Cornwall and my nearest office is in Newton Abbot , Devon which will be approx 1 1/2 hour drive each way so it's a fair distance . The lady i spoke to mentioned Wales & the other place i believe was Bournemouth , stating that they hadn't long been established so they may be less busy but at the time it seemed so far to go .

I have to be honest and say that when i booked my appointment i was still thinking along the lines you advised me , re taking my trip and hadn't even begun to think about this trip next April . I think i'll stick with the ncs in Devon but i do appreciate your advice about the offices and also re the check & send service . I've got another possible issue that's reared it's head regarding my husband's business and my place in it but i'm on the case ( famous last words ) ....hey ho , happy times 😃 . Oh well it'll have to sort itself one way or another , i'll just keep my finger's crossed .

Many thanks

Julie  

17 years ago

Hi,

Part 1 : Apologies for asking an opt repeated question, but can someone (P Pron, Mrs G , Waheed, ...) please post the link to the Home Office website where we can check the processing times for Nationality Applications. Its a month now for my application & till now no joy :(

Part 2: My current passport is expiring in mid Nov and I didn't really want to renew it. What happens when my passport expires and I am at each of the following stages:

1. My application for British Citizen is pending

2. My application for British Citizen is successful but ceremony is pending

3. My Ceremony is done & applied for British passport but British passport not yet issued.

Is it ok if my current passport has expired? I have got ILR stamp on it & also passed my British Citizenship test.

Thanks.