paulat.pron@tiscali.co.uk.1330535426
17 years ago

From what you say, you appear to have been qualified since the day you got ILR in August.

Have a look at Guide AN(NEW), on http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/formsandguidance/
- and start studying for the test....

paul

Sponsor

goodman2006@hotmail.com.1179609682
17 years ago

Hi paul,

I don?t know how to thank you but I can only say thank you very very much for you help and advice. I will be following your advice by studying the guide AN (NEW) and preparing for the test.

We don?t have nationality checking office in northern Ireland what should I do and Please could you tell me if can i apply for both citizenships as my wife is british and irish .

Thank you kindly

Yours sincerely

17 years ago

Hi Ali

It's a shame that NCS hasn't yet extended as far as Northern Ireland - nor to Mrs G's distant part of Scotland! I think you'll just have to apply by post to the address given in the Guide.

I'm certainly no expert in Irish citizenship, but I think you may be able to apply, even though you live in the North, rather than the Irish Republic. Have a look at http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/migration_and_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html, which appears to be an official Irisih government website on the subject. There's no reason why the British government should object to your applying for Irisih citizenship as well - although I've heard that (assuming you qualify, of course) Ireland takes a lot longer than the UK does, in processing applications.

regards

Paul

17 years ago

Hi paul,

Many many thanks for your help and advice you have helped me a lot.

Its very confusing my native country doesn?t have any objection towards anyone applying for another citizenship (dual citizenship). Do you think the British and Irish governments would allow me to have both citizenships along with my origin citizenship (can i hold three citizenships?). Or do i have to give up one of them by the international law? Thanks paul

Yours sincerely

ali

17 years ago

The British government won't care one way or the other, Ali. Dual, triple or multiple nationalities are fine with the UK. But you'll need to do the checking with the Irish government - my head is too full of British nationality law to fit Irish law in as well!!!  big grin
cheers
paul

17 years ago

hi paul,

thanks paul for your help you assisted me greatly, thanks for all your hard work, hugely appreciated mate.

cheers

Ali

17 years ago
Top o' the mornin' !!
17 years ago

Hi paul,As you know about my  previous inquires. I asked the Irish authority if they would allow me to apply for the Irish citizenship after the (British citizenship) .but they couldn?t give me an answer in this case.It?s unbelievable they are supposed to be professionals.

Please help meRegards 

Ali

17 years ago
Hi Ali

Sorry, mate - I know less about Irish nationality law than you do - I only found that link - you've presumably read what it says!!

My guess - but it is only a guess - is that the Irish government won't really care what nationality you are when you apply for their citizenship. All that should matter to them is whether you meet their requirements - which are (I think) the same for all nationalities.

If you really cannot get a straight answer out of the Irish authorities, my only suggestion is to take legal advice...

Sorry-oh

Paul

17 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks  mate. I have to take your advice as guide line.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ali

17 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot mate, I passed life in the UK test, and it was so easy because the help from you and this site .could you advice me about the surname in the citizenship application form. My surname in the passport is AL YOSSEF and in the driving licence ALYOSSEF. I always having problems with any correspondence such as they write YOSSEF as surname instead AL YOSSEF. Should I write ALYOSSEF without any space in the application form or you think it might create a problem.

Regard

ALI

17 years ago

Hi Ali

Don't thank me for the test result, Ali - that's down to the part of the site I've never been in!

As to your name, I'd say that if "al" is a separate word from "Yossef", and that's what you want, then keep it that way, leaving a blank space between the two words. Then it'll be consistent with your present passport, and your British passport will say the same thing when you have it. With luck, everyone else will eventually fall into line.

I have a friend who has two longer names than yours, but has had problems with companies taking it upon themselves to change his name, for their convenience. What he does now is underline the family name when completing forms that don't have individual boxes for each letter - "Fred Brown Smith" . Result? Problem solved!

all the best

paul

fr.will@zen.co.uk.1330535427
17 years ago
In my experience -- and this is just one person's experience, not case law! --  they use the name exactly as you fill it in at the beginning of the form, provided it clearly links to the name on your supporting documentation. 

Originally, my surname was not hypenated (i.e., Ingle Gillis).  Although my wife and I commonly used the hypen for many years, our legal documentation (passports, etc.) were without.  I only added the hyphen legally by Statutory Declaration (i.e., Ingle-Gillis) to avoid the various kinds of confusion in the general world that you guys have already described. 

At the moment, my US passport reads 'Ingle-Gillis', and my wife's reads 'Ingle Gillis' (without hypen).  Her previous passport used her maiden name and had an amendment note elsewhere changing it to 'Ingle Gillis'. 

The British IND authorities have always faithfully used the correct form, 'Ingle-Gillis', in any stamp she's had -- in both passports -- because that's the name under which she has applied.  So we've never had to argue it with them; in fact, it's been far easier and more straightforward than I'd ever have expected. 

But, the American Embassy authorities ... now *that's* a whole 'nother story ... angry

17 years ago

Hi paul,

Thats is dead on mate and thanks for your help.

cheers

Ali

17 years ago

Hi William,

Thanks for you help about the matter.

Cheers

Ali

17 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, I wonder if can I apply to the Irish citizenship at the same time as the British citizenship or do I have to wait until I get the British citizenship.

As you know The Irish citizenship will take longer than the British citizenship.

Thanking you kindly

Ali

17 years ago
Hi Ali

If it's OK with the Irish Authorities, I can't see any reason why not...

cheers

paul

17 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks mate you are great, I have to wait until I get my documents back from IND, I wonder how long it will take the IND to return the documents, because I have to send them without nationality checking service. Regarding to the Irish authority they are very slow with processing application forms, and they are asking for different requirements such as: 

• Copy of Garda Registration Certificate/Green Book (all pages) or Card

• Documentary proof of legal residence in state (copies of immigration stamps in passport, official letters confirming immigration status, )

• Irish Medical card.

Pleas what should I do in this case as you know i live in the north ?

Cheers

Ali

17 years ago
Sorry Ali, I just don't know - as I said higher up the thread I know next to nothing about Irish citizenship. Maybe you need to track down an Irish immigration forum...

cheers

paul

17 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks mate for your reply. I will try to get some information of the Irish immigration forum.

If I apply to the British citizenship before Christmas how long it will take the home office to return my original documents? Without nationality checking service because we don?t have one over here.

Regard

Ali