mars
  • mars
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
16 years ago
All your husband needs to do just "pass the citizen test"or "progress level 2 ESOL course", do one or the other.
Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
16 years ago
Thank you for your advice. However, my husband does not speak sufficient English to take the computer test, and he has been waiting almost 1 year now for a place on an ESOL course, with still no guarantee as to when one will become available. Has anyone experience the same problems with ESOL?
coco0923@hotmail.com.1330535430
16 years ago

yes I had same problem too ,in Cardiff I was waiting for 4 months for the ESOL course then I had interview ,they told me I have to pay the course as I have not living here for 3 years !!! it's egg and chicken ,chicken and egg.

you have to wait 3 years to get free ESOL course ;in order to stay 3 years you need pass ESOL to get SET visa first !!!

so I took the exam as they changed the rule from April 2007,luckily I passed it today .

SIbelati
  • SIbelati
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
As from April 2007 the governments new rules on applying for ILR require applicants to have passed the Citizens test or progressed 2 levels within an ESOL course. (Formerly this was only required when applying for a British Passport and was a matter of choice). My husband has been waiting for a place on an ESOL course for more than 8 months, with no guarantee when there will be a place available. His 2 year spouse settlement visa is due to expire in 12 months time and if he has not reached the required standard of English he will have to apply for an extension. We not know what period will be extended and whether he will have to pay the full visa fee each time an extension is given. How can the government introduce new regulations without setting in place the means to enable him (and all the presumably thousands of additional applicants requiring extended ILR) to study to the approved standard. At present he is paying £120 each month for 6 hours of private lessons, which is the maximum that we are able to afford. Has anyone any further information on this? The government say that 'at the present time' they are not planning to deport anyone who has not reached the required level of English! The majority are probably unaware of the new rules on ILR, and I believe that many will not have reached the sufficient level of English in the relatively short time of 2 years given for spouse visas.