dhaleelah
16 years ago
hi there,

do they call our landline for any confirmation or will they contact our mobile number?

pls reply immediately
thanx
Sponsor

fr.will@zen.co.uk.1330535427
16 years ago
Normally, they don't ring at all -- not as far as I know. In my case, it was because US passports list your state of birth, but not your town of birth, and I had listed town on my application, so the caseworker wanted to ask if it was o.k. to list my birthplace on my naturalisation certificate as it was on my US passport. (He said things would go more smoothly that way.) He rang my landline. I'm not sure if I gave a mobile number. Presumably, they'll ring the first one you give, and the secondary if you have one.

Info to add to the timeline:

28th August -- received notification of successful application and documents back. They were returned in the pre-paid Special Delivery envelope that I had sent with my application.

Incidentally, after talking with my local registrar -- I wanted to see if it's possible to be naturalised before Mr. Brown calls an election -- I have discovered that they transmit information about successful applications to the registrars once a week. It's Friday for my registrar, but I don't know if it's Friday for everybody. They send out the information electronically, and send a paper latter along later to confirm. Worth noting.
16 years ago
oops -- mistake -- sorry. Obviously, the successful application notification came on the 28th September, and not the 28th August!
dhaleelah
16 years ago
hi there,
thanx a lot for a quick reply.
i hve applied for nturalisation based on marraige(british spouse)

31st july- 1 yr ilr completed
11th sep-submitted my application thru ncs
13th-letter from home office that they recieved the docs

im hoping i should get my naturalisation soon coz im going abroad now as my hubby has got a job.

is it ok to call the registrar or the home office n find out about my application process?

hope everything goes well cz its a LOTTA money :-)

thanks
16 years ago
if your case is straightforward and well-documented, there shouldn't be much of a problem -- as far as I can tell. the quick reply from the Home Office suggests there's not much of a back-log and, as you can see, I got my letter in just a few days over a month. There have been others on this board who have had letters back in a similar time frame.

It's not worth ringing the registrar, because they won't have the information till after the application is approved; once you get the approval letter from the Home Office, the registrar may be able to help you find the quickest way to get yourself to a ceremony (the free group ceremony or a private one for a fee, for example). Note: the Home Office letter instructs you *not* to ring the registrar, but just to wait for them to send you an invitation to the ceremony. Actually, there's no real reason you cannot ring them -- but I suspect they tell you not to for two purposes: (1) the registrar may not actually know about your application yet, if the info hasn't had time to arrive from the Home Office and (2) some councils will be servicing a large immigrant population and may be flooded with calls already; they don't need more and they'll get irritable. In my case, since I don't live in an area with many immigrants, my registrar was lovely when I rang -- but, for reason (1), she didn't have much advice to give yet -- not late last friday!

As for ringing the Home Office, I think there's not much point -- and there are a couple of former Home Office Caseworkers on this board who have said the same thing. Your application will be in a Big Pile right now -- and, although ringing up won't hurt your chances, it won't help either, because you'll just have to wait your turn like everyone else.

As I said, if your application is straightforward and doesn't require too many checks, you probably won't have toooooo long to wait! ;)
dhaleelah
16 years ago
hi there,

thanx a lot for such a quick reply.
as u said i dont think there is any point in calling the home office.

i got my ILR in just a week n i was in the seventh heaven lol

hope the things go well this time too :-)

thanx
16 years ago
Woo-hoo! Had a phone call from the Nationality Directorate caseworker to confirm a detail or two for the certificate -- which had the practical knock-on effect of letting me know that my application was successful! Still have yet to receive any paperwork, but the chap said he was going to authorise the naturalisation today and return my documents, and I can expect my council to be in touch.

Obviously, I'm over the moon. (Thank you Life in the UK people for such an excellent prep-site. And thank you, forum participants, for your time. I intend to remain a member, so I can keep offering advice now and again -- this only works if successful applicants stick around, you know!)

Time line thus far:

23rd August -- 1 year of ILR
24th August -- sent completed Form AN via Royal Mail Special Delivery
31st August -- home office debits my credit card and writes acknowledgement letter.
4th September -- charge actually appears on my credit card and letter arrives either the same day or the day after.
27th September -- phone call from Nationality Directorate confirming success of application and clarifying details for sending to the registrar for certificate.

I'll keep you advised of further developments.

Note: this application included my report of a speeding ticket as a result of a speeding camera (because they made me report it for ILR) ; but it also included a letter from the issuing authority declaring that the ticket was a fixed penalty, and not a conviction. It also included a character reference from an Anglican Bishop! ;)
16 years ago
Further to my timeline:

3rd October - Home Office issued invitation to a naturalisation ceremony and forwarded my details on to my local registrar.

-- then the postal strike happened --

12th October - registrar sent their own letter inviting me to the naturalisation ceremony.

30th October - Home Office invitation arrives. Where it has been this whole month, I'm not quite sure; but it's dated the 3rd October.

1st November - Naturalisation ceremony. Yay. I'm a citizen!