lifeintheuktest
16 years ago

She won't have time to pass the ESOL citizens course (even if she's lucky enough to find one), but if her English is at grade 3 equivalent she can sit the Life in the UK computer test at her nearest test centre. She can study using this forum.

Sponsor

lifeintheuktest
16 years ago
Thankyou for your reply.
Is she not able to find an ESOL exam and take it without taking the whole course?

I didn't know the Life in the UK test is acceptable for ILR application. She may have to do this.
Thanks
Siva
lifeintheuktest
16 years ago

ESOL citizens courses are offered as an option to the Life in the UK test (which is compulsory now when applying for ILR) when the applicants level of English is below ESOL grade 3. There is no ESOL exam to sit on the citizens course. The student has to progress through study from one ESOL level to the next, and then a certificate is issued as proof that this has been achieved at an approved ESOL centre. i.e Grade 1- 2, or Grade 2-3. As the course follows material covered in 'the Citizens pack', this will presumably take some considerable time, and as there are many centres where tutors have not yet been sent for training in the citizens material, courses in some parts of the Country are still not available. The Life in the Uk test is not an 'English' language test as such. It's a test on what is known about UK life. i.e history, law, demographic statistics, politics etc. If your wife has a good understanding of written English, and a good memory for facts and figures, she should have no problem with the test. But check where your nearest test centre is and what waiting time they have. Good luck

lifeintheuktest
16 years ago

Hi all,
My wife is currently on dependent visa and expires on end of April. She is going to apply for ILR.  We found out that she needs to pass the ESOL 3 test.

Her English is very good and didn't think she needed the ESOL cource (she studied in English medium in Sri Lanka).

Is anyone able to advice if she can just make an appointment for the test or does she need to do any preparation at all.

Thanks verymuch
Regards
Siva