marufahmed
10 years ago
Hi Anonymous
No, housing benefit means you get the money from council to pay your rent. Any one on spouse visa can rent a council property in cooperation with British citizen partner. You need to apply for the money (Housing benefit) to pay your rent from the city council.
Regards
Maruf
Sponsor

charles5480
10 years ago

Thank you for your candid advice. I am very confused about it. I have two weeks old baby with my british wife. We have been given quit notice to leave where we are. So, my wife is considering going to council to rent an accommodation from them. She is on Marternity leave but I work full-time. They need to see the household income which includes mine. Council houses are subsidised, that is why I am confused. And what about child benefit? Looking forward to your advice soonest Thanks.

mrlookforward
10 years ago
Child benefit must not be in your name. It should be claimed by your British Wife.

You must not apply council house in your name. Your wife should apply, and add your name as her husband/partner.

Same goes with housing benefit and council tax benefit or working tax credit etc.

Taking this approach will not have a negative bearing on your future immigration applications.

regards
charles5480
10 years ago

Thank you Mr lookforward. I will take to your advice. I told my wife not to claim child benefits for now, because my ILR Is just 3 months away. Renting council accommodation, Is it really housing benefit?

Regards

mrlookforward
10 years ago
If you told your wife not to claim child benefit then I would say you are pure stupid. Why would you not let her take the money she is entitled to?

I don't want to explain all housing and immigration law, but yes, no council house application for housing in your name. If she applies, and then adds you as partner then there isn't a problem.

regards
charles5480
10 years ago

Is it housing benefit if someone on spouse visa rents an accommodation from council?

Looking forwards to good responses. Thanks