lifeintheuktest
10 years ago

Please can some one help me with the new knowledge of English test. My family and I wanted to apply for citizenship this month but have been left completely confused. Our case is as follows:

1. I was on the HSMP visa (renewed as Tier 1). I received the 10 points for English as I had proved that I had studied in English medium through out my degree. Am I correct in saying that I don't need the IELTS(or equivalent) as I have had to prove it earlier?

2. My wife has is ACCA qualified and also hold a Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching in the Life Long Sector from the University of Westminister (all studied in the UK) Will she still need to do the IELTS test?

3. My son has passed his GCSE with a B in English (from the UK).He did not study English in A levels. Will he need to do the IELTS?

4. My daughter has completed her A levels with English Language and English Literature (in the UK) and passed with an A. I understand that this is a Level B2 (which is above the minimum requirement of B1). Is that correct?

I have not been able to get consistent answers from consultants and I don't know the number of the Home Office. Please help.

Thanking you in anticipation

Kind regards

Amar

Sponsor

mrlookforward
10 years ago

1. Your understanding is correct.

2. I do not exactly know. But there is an easy way to find out. Just go to PBS calculator on UKBA website. Select the info as if she were applying from outside UK on PBS. When she gets to a certain stage on PBS calculator then she needs to put all the correct details of her ACCA qualification. If the calculator gives her 10 points for english, then her ACCA will be sufficient to meet the requirement. Same goes with her Post graduate diploma. If none of her qualifications give her 10 points for english, then she will need to do a B1 level english test in speaking and listening

3. Copy and paste the link I am providing, and then further click on the relevant links and check both your children's awards if they are on ofqual register of regulated qualification at the level of B1 speaking and listening.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/kol/english-qualification/

4. Same as Above.

If your wife or kids do not meet the english level required, the look at this link. Easy peasy 10 minutes test to pass B1 level cefr. Costs £ 125 a piece.

http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/b1-esol-entry-level-3.html

regards