mrlookforward
13 years ago
You chances are not very good, or should I say negligible. You got spouse visa to live with your wife, and not to work outside uk and use your visa as a visit visa.
I suggest you see a good immigration advisor/solicitor before you submitt your application.
Sponsor

tonyshako@eml.cc.1330536374
13 years ago
No need to be condescending Mr. Lookforward, I'm fully aware of the terms of the spouse visa. Just wanted to know whether the dire prevailing economic and employment climate, which forced me to seek employment outside the UK, could come to bear on my application.
maddisonkellie@gmail.com.1330536374
13 years ago
I think the most important thing for you to be focusing on is REALLY spelling it out to the Immigration Officers that will be looking at your application. If you spell out why you had to do what you had to do they may be understanding. These things happen and sometimes you have to look for work elsewhere. But they will pick you apart because that is their job. They may want to know why you didn't seek advice as to whether working abroad was or was not going against the rules of you specific visa and so on. You will have to explain this in full detail. I wouldn't say all hope is lost, but if you can afford it I would suggest finding a good Immigration Lawyer. You can message me for the name of the guy I'm using if you like because he is very good. Compared to the things some people do when they have a visa, people who still get to keep them, your case doesn't seem as bad. But the best advice is to explain in FULL detail what happened. Good luck. x
mrlookforward
13 years ago
Spouse visas do not have a maximum number of days you can be outside UK. But there is another factor involved, intention to live with your wife. Because you have been employed outside UK for such a long time, and if the caseworker picks on this, then it will be difficult for you to prove that you are seeking ILR on the basis of living with your wife. You will have to do hard explaining. Sorry if i sounded harsh, but I have personal knowledge of people getting refused for this very reason.
Once again, I would stress that you should take help of a good advisor. I know of 2 good advisors who might be able to help. One is in london and another in manchester. Let me know if you want the contact details of either of them.
maddisonkellie@gmail.com.1330536374
13 years ago
Hi Tony, left you a private message with the lawyer's details as I'm not sure you can post them on here in case it's seen as advertising. Hope it helps. Good luck.
13 years ago

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that my application was approved and I received my ILR 2 days ago. Like you said, there is no limit on number of days you can be outside UK for spouse visas but one has to justify their absence. I attached all emails and letters of rejection of my job applications from 2008 until my departure, plus the 1 negative interview response I had. The case worker understood my situationand why I had to leaveĀ and because my salary is being remitted into my UK account and I have pay slips and bank statements to prove it, he was satisfied. I also showed him my contract which has my UK address as my home address. Also I have set up direct debits to pay utilities and other bills, and I have other correspondence, all which he checked and which ultimately satisfied him that I fully intend to live with my family in the UK. The fact that my wife and I had a child in the 2 years in question seemed to sit well with him as well for some reason. However he stressed that if I am away from the UK forĀ 2 years continuously, my ILR could be revoked, although it is easier to refuse the ILR application than revoke the ILR after it has been issued.

Thanks again and keep up the good work of advising those like myself who seek assistance.

Cheers

Tony

13 years ago
I have been working in the humanitarian assistance field for over 10 years in various parts of the world.10 yrs ago, I met my now wife (British). 3 years later we were married. As she was settled in the UK and I was always travelling, her home became our home, even though I could only visit on visitors visas. Despite this we started a family. I went on working abroad, visiting every 6 to 8 weeks until in 2008 when I applied for settlement visa as the spouse of a British Citizen.I came to UK on spouse visa in July 2008 (arrived 2 days after I received visa), hoping to find work that would allow me to finally be with my family (now 2 kids) 24/7. However, for the next 14 months I was unable to find a job (the recession meant it was a difficult time to try and settle in the UK) and in autumn 2009 took a job abroad. I am currently working abroad and my current contract will end just before (2 days) my spouse visa although my contract will definitely be renewed. So, as a result of being away, I have received very little mail in my name, except utility bills.My wife has been receiving correspondence regularly. Also, my bank statements during the period I was unemployed don't amount to much although my wife's have been okay. In amongst this we had another child in early 2009. I would dearly love to be with my family 24/7 and not have to be away from them, but what are my chances of getting the ILR? I will be making appointments for Life in the UK test and the settlement hearing in June. Please advise. Thanks