lifeintheuktest
11 years ago
Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: child registration for British citizen

Our background:

My son was born in UK in 1999 and left UK with his mother only when he was 6 months old. I was granted ILR/PR in 2002 on my own and his mum passed away 2 years ago. My parents and my sister are taking care of him.

I read an information about child registration of British citizen from UKBA website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/borninuk/) as follows.

/This page explains how a child born in the United Kingdom whose parents were not British citizens or settled in the United Kingdom at the time of the child's birth can meet the requirements to be registered as a British citizen.

Section 1(3) applications - children born in the United Kingdom to parents who are now settled in the United Kingdom

If the child's parent has become settled in the United Kingdom or becomes a British citizen, the child will have an entitlement to register as a British citizen. This registration would be under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981./

My questions are:

Q1: My child has been away from the UK. Can he apply for Registration?

I got an answer from an forum about
immigration.

'There are no residential requirements for application under section 1(3) (child born in the UK before parent was granted ILR/PR).(http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=592355&#592355)'

Please confirm.

Q2: Where should I submit application form MN1?

The guide said (page31):

If the child is in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland send the form with the fee and
supporting documents to
UK Border Agency
PO Box 306
LIVERPOOL
L2 0QN
If they are in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, you should send them to the Lieutenant-
Governor.
If they are in a British overseas territory, you should send them to the Governor.
If they are elsewhere, you should send them to the nearest British Consulate, Embassy or High
Commission.

But I also noticed that you made a change: (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/66-nat-add)

Changes to British nationality applications made outside the UK

13 July 2012

From 16 July 2012 if you are applying for British nationality from outside the UK you must send your application form to:

UK Border Agency
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

From 16 July you cannot submit your application for British nationality to the British High Commission or British Consulate in your country.

Residents in Hong Kong should continue to submit their application at their British High Commission or British Consulate.

We will shortly be updating the information contained in the official guide 'Where to send your application form' to reflect these changes.

I suppose I should use address: UK Border Agency
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

instead of the one from application form: UK Border Agency
PO Box 306
LIVERPOOL
L2 0QN

Please confirm.

Q3: I downloaded MN1, 2010 version, do you have new version to come soon?

Can I use the 2010 version now?

Q4: Which documents are needed for registration as BC?

I got an answer from same forum which is really good I have to report to you!
(http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=592355&#592355)'

If applying under section 1(3) (child born in the UK to parents who now at least one parent holds ILR), the following documents are required:

- Full UK birth certificate for the child (with the ILR parent named on it).
- Child passport (if has one). <So don't have to send child passport? If I send his Chinese passport to you, is it possible to stamp a short term or ILR visa for him to come to UK?, Sorry, this is another question>
- Parent's passport showing ILR / BRP.
- Marriage certificate (if child born before 2006). <My wife passed away, do I need
marriage certificate or death document or both?>
All documents need to be originals. Not a photocopy.

<Applying through the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) will be ok with photocopies I
presume.>

Please confirm.

Thank you very much for your patience. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Richard
Sponsor